Wednesday 7 September 2011

More Spoilt for Choice #2

In my post MIFF come down, where I'm hazy and lazy, propped under my coolabah tree, I squint into the spring sunshine and slowly make out through the glints and the flares another film festival.
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH its the Korean Film Festival
and it's the first time it's been to Melbourne (God Bless Their Seoul)
and it's on at ACMI
KOFFIA 2011, Sept 10-13

No Hong Sang-soo, which is a shame but I think I'll open my account with an old classic. 
I'm looking forward to seeing Park Chan-wook's first successful feature JSA (Joint Security Area) A tale of military murder on the border of North and South Korea, an area that is still strained with the posturing and tension of a divided country. Some say his best film? Certainly a better box office return than his first two. (http://newkoreancinema.com/)
Check the Trailer.  I say I haven't seen any others but as he is a poster boy for South Korean cinema I might a well start here? He is currently working on his first English speaking film which is starring Nicole Kidman. I just don't know how to react to such news, usually she is a great reason NOT to see a film, so I hope she doesn't burst his bubble....stand by.

JSA screens on early Sunday evening (11th) and preceding it is a talk on Korean Cinema Downunder, headed up by Dr Adrian Martin. Do we need more than two good reasons to go to this? then maybe Christian Were (Madman) and Al Cossar (MIFF) may be the extra that you need. It's free and should put this cinema into context real good.


There are two films a night for four nights except for Saturday which has three films. It's short sharp and sweet and a treat....I hope. It is put on by the Korean Cultural Office which is based in Sydney and runs a healthy cultural program throughout the year. KOFFIA is one of their annual major events and we are very lucky in Melbourne that they are spreading their wings further afield this year. I imagine if it is well attended and a success it may too become an annual event down here?

Another film I may go and see is Shim's Family. Just the first line of the blurb got me in, oh that and the publicity still.


The Shims are weirdos. Misunderstood and misunderstanding is their middle name. 

 It's a black comedy about a dysfunctional family. Its skeletons in the cupboard. Why not I say?
Jeong Yoon-cheol, the director, was an editing student at AFTRS, on a scholarship apparently. I like a director that has come from the edit suite. This is the closing film for the festival, Tuesday evening (13th) 8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment