Wednesday 13 July 2011

Vale Street

Here we have an extract from 'Girl in a Mirror' a documentary of photographer Carol Jerrems. This is the lead up to a very famous (hangs in the national gallery) photograph she took called 'Vale Street'

She hung out and taught kids in Heidelberg West in the 70's, technically Sharpies.

A coupla years after this was shot (end of the decade) I was playing footy for Diamond Creek and one of the sides we played was Heidelberg West. We were in the  Under 16 competition and this side drove to the match. I remember the guy I was on took his jumper off to put on his sleeveless jumper and I've never seen so many tattoos close up. They were a side of Sharpies and very scary.

PS we let them win.

The reason I say all this is that I know what she was amongst, she lived with them.

Great Doco, Great Photographs



A link to an article on her work
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/screeningthepast/29/inspiration-girl-in-a-mirror.html

No comments:

Post a Comment