Sunday 23 November 2014

Where We Begin

Where we begin? Right at the start? Maybe?
Well yes if this were a question from say someone who speaks English as a second language.
Or maybe it's meant to be locating where we actually begin?

All this is not relevant in this case because Where We Begin is actually a title for a short film that is being made, a film made by Mitsuyo Miyazaki. Actually it's a collaboration between her and the band called Mono, most popular in Japan. And wait for it......it's a dance film.

Mono live
Photos by Viola Kam 
http://shadowviola.wordpress.com/
 Well shit! what does that mean? and that's a good question but before I go there I wanna tell you about the first film that I saw directed by Mitsuyo.

TSUYAKO (2011) 
(V'z Twinkle Photography)
This was her USC School of Cinematic Arts, MFA Thesis project.  It's one of the most beautiful short films that have passed my eyes, beautifully shot, exquisite and seamless production design, great casting and direction, etherial score and such a touching personal story. 
It really is magnificent!
Check out the trailer here.
Based on this film alone I will claim Mitsuyo is a great filmmaker and I will back her next project to see what comes next, what delight is just around the corner? Just check out the website and see all the awards this film has won to realise I'm not just spouting hot air on this one. I think all who have seen it will agree with my words and some may say I'm understating.

So now we have a dance film on the cards, could be tragic....maybe but I doubt it. 

It's funny how things come in groups but I have had some really good experiences around dance and film, filmmakers with a dance background, films about dancers, dance as the main communicator.
Most recently and also from the States is a short film by Abe Heisler. He is a very accomplished filmmaker also and has just recently completed a short called Dancing with Nureyev that explores the passion of ballet, the journey and the crossroads of an aspiring performer. 
Simply put it is a beautiful lyrical piece, all Abe's films come from the heart.
 
Viktor Kabaniaev & Sasha De Sola from the film Dancing with Nureyev

So not long after seeing this I also became aware of Where We Begin. 
I think I'm into the idea of it, if this film lands halfway between Abe's film and Tsuyako it would be a stunningly beautiful masterpiece. Check out the kickstarter campaign quickly, cause it's expiring very soon, and there and on the facebook page there are many videos giving insight into the creative process and the thinking behind this film. Plenty of material for you to make up your own mind.


These are the sort of projects that attract my attention and these are the sort of projects that I finacially back. I want to see them birthed into this world. I am interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment