Wednesday 17 August 2011

Spoilt for Choice or When it Rains it Pours!!!

Here we are in the middle of August just having come down from MIFF and look what we are faced with. 2 Festivals kicking off on the 19th and then a selection of films being screened independently.
First of the blocks is MUFF #12, The Melbourne Underground Film Festival, Melbourne's very viable alternative to the International Festival was set up as a reaction in order to catch the disaffected who didn't or couldn't get their film into MIFF. Such a great name, tell me who doesn't love MUFF? There's a good collection of pretty bent films and a Paul Morrisey retrospective all happening down at the Dogs Bar and Memo in St Kilda.
On the Monday a film called Citizen Jia Li by Sky Crompton, a colleague from Holmesglen, will be screening. It's a feature film and I am credited as 'Editing Consultant'. It's a very interesting idea, exploring the Asian diaspora in Melbourne. There's a Triad character, a Harajuku character and plenty of Mandarin dialogue.


Sad thing is that I have failed in my role as Editing Consultant because after an initial successful session where there was some good restructuring and cutting back of extraneous scenes, I lost the ear of the director and as a result I think the film is way too long. It is very loose in parts which kills any of the good work in the film. Don't get me wrong because there are some really nice bits to this film and some really nice performances but there is no consistency. It would make a really good 60minute film  but this project was to be feature length and there was no way that 30minutes was coming out of it.
I know I am not the only person in the credits who thinks the same. Hey Ho.
Sometimes I feel like I should get my name out of the credits.

Running neck and neck with MUFF is the 6th Indonesian Film Festival running from the 19th to the 25th at ACMI cinemas in the city. There was only one Indonesian film at MIFF and I missed it, so here are a half dozen presented with talks and night outs etc. Sounds like fun but not quite sure what to see? It is the great unknown of the Asian Cinema.

Also at ACMI is Werner Herzog's latest drama My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done. David Lynch is the executive producer and by all reports is a pretty whacky film well worth a look. Especially since I missed his doco at MIFF, the 3-D spectacular Cave of Forgotten Dreams. Its on Fri to Monday and I am definantly going because I won a double pass to see it. Yi Ha. I would see it anyway because I LOVE WERNER. whoops! but it is true, I would go and see anything made by him because I just find what he does is so interesting. Doesn't always work but hey well worth a look.

Finally I also have a free pass to see Audry Tautou's latest film, Beautiful Lies. The pass will get me over the line here because I've heard a review or two that describe this as pretty bad and really questioning why she is in such a film?? I'm no real expert of this actress but I'll pop along and see. The last French film I saw like this was Micmacs and that was really fun. So we'll see what happens.


All in all this weekend/week Melbourne is totally spoilt for choice and I've not been comprehensive here, there is more!



No comments:

Post a Comment