Wednesday 24 September 2014

19th BIFF, 2014. Build it and they will come

Yes I'm back in Southern South Korea, Busan to be exact.
and I'm back to attend the 19th Busan International Film Festival.
and yup I'm pretty excited again!
the cinema centre before the crowds
I've been writing about BIFF for the last four years and this is my second time attending.
There has always been a common theme for me and if you run through the blog archive (right hand side) each year around October you will read what I mean.
Sion Sono, Hong Sangsoo and Kim Ki Duk are three favourites who regularly deliver to this festival and this year is no exception.

 Tokyo Tribe is Sono's foray into the world of Hip Hop!!!! or is that just a gross misrepresentation?? Who cares? because anything Mr. Prolific does is guaranteed to be quite fucked up even if it be a journey closer to the mainstream

Hill of Freedom is Hong's shortest feature to date but still promises a lot of loop de loops with his fantastic narrative style with lashings of wry sense of humour.

One on One is Kim Ki-duk's brutal commentary on life today in Korea, though of course done in his own abstract kinda way....aparently. They say not his best work to date but hey, I'll watch his films anyday cause he's a fascinating story teller and a fascinating filmmaker.

 For me seeing these three films is enough and only Sion Sono is not in town for Q&A's but I secretly think he will jet in at the last minute, cause it's only just around the corner for him eh?

This is just the start, there is so much more going on at this festival but more on that later.

The 19th BIFF, 2014 is happening early October for about 10 days and one of the pleasures of being here a little bit early is that I see the stage get built, little bit by little bit.



Haeundae Beach



No comments:

Post a Comment