Tuesday 5 August 2014

나를 잊지 말아요 but I cant forget Remember O Goddess

 One lucky day in South Korea at Gimpo International Airport, Seoul.
The occasion, a set visit to the filming of 'Dont Forget Me' (나를 잊지 말아요).
Lee Yoon Jung's latest film and debut feature. What a treat!
How I got here started about 18 months ago.

Kim Ha-Neul's character Jin-Young leaving the terminal building
 I am partial to the concept of crowdfunding and in the past have supported various projects. Exclusively films and theater productions. Sometimes they are people I know, sometimes they are just great ideas from around the world.
Remember O Goddess was one of the later. It came my way via a network of Korean cinema buffs, web sites and blogs, I can't remember which exactly. Clicking through to the kickstarter campaign I couldn't help but be impressed.
Yoon Jung had already made a short film of that title but was raising capital to expand it to a feature length film. Watching the short I was immediately struck by the strength of the story, it worked as a stand alone short but I could also very much see an expansion on the story and themes. However there were other elements that were incredibly strong, namely the strength of the acting and hence the direction but also the way it was shot. Lots of night exteriors that were impeccably shot but in a subtle way that didn't scream LOOK AT ME and distract from the narrative. It's a cracker of a short and one could walk away from just that and be very proud. You could tell there was some great filmmaking going on here and also a very fertile storyline. I wanted to see this feature, backed it to this capacity and that was that.
Being a fan of Korean cinema and having crewed on many Australian productions, when the campaign was successful I hatched a secret fantasy to contact Yoon Jung, travel to Korea and volunteer my services for the film. What a dream! Mind you I'd never been to Korea and didn't speak the language but hey that's what dreams are for.

Camera Crew & First prepare for the next setup
Anyway it's a long story but production kept getting pushed back and new people came on board, basically the project was expanding, with cast, budget and distribution. So it was this year that production finally got underway with major backers and A-list cast, shooting in Seoul as of June this year. This excited me no end, one cause it was finally going to be realised but two I was heading to Seoul for other reasons right in the middle of production.

So I put the feelers out and made a few requests and was privileged enough to be a set guest the day they were shooting some airport scenes and plane interiors. Mind you none of this wouldn't have happened if not for the genourosity of Lee Yoon Jung, the cooperation of Young Wook Jo and the skills of Park Seol Hwa. Cause although this was now my second visit to the Korean peninsula and I did have some rudimentary language under the belt without their navigation and language I don't think I would have ever got there. Under the able guidance of Seol Hwa we headed out to Seoul's smaller and older International Airport, Gimpo. Subway, bus and a bit of walking and we were there. Too exciting!

After a warm greeting from Wook Jo we got to see a number of setups for one of Kim Ha Neul's scenes at the terminal. This was such a gas watching the Korean crew at work and especially the 1st AD, as this is my background in Australian production. They were fast, calm and efficient. Australian crews have a reputation for being good and fast and we are but so are these guys, very much so.
 
Camera Crew & Kim Ha-Neul
Line Producer and 1st AD watch on

The first would almost whisper her roll up into the radio,
"ready ready", "shoot shoot","camera"...etc.
It was all in English too.
I was way impressed. I've always thought women make great firsts with the energy and sensibilities they bring to set and some of my favourite onset moments have been under such command. I watched this crew and thought that it would be a wonderful experience to work with these guys.
Tough but good. Arrrgh that dream again!
But this time I was here to observe.

When that scene wrapped we were onto a scene inside a plane and I was invited to be one of the passenger extras. Ha! My policy in Australia is 'never in front of the camera', I have done it before but when I was much younger and now there is no novelty factor for me anymore.
But, Hey! in a Korean film? Why of course I will and besides it was a sitting role, in a comfy plane seat and I had my back to camera. So I was very flattered to learn that Ha Neul will be coming up to me and asking if I would like some coffee but then after a rehearsal it changed! I was put one chair back because they thought it would be too weird her talking Korean to a Westener. Shit!!! I've directed enough extras in my time to know 'the bump', must have good head & shoulders for radio! Actually it did make sense and anyway at the end of the scene she moved onto me and offered the coffee anyway. (that'll hit the cutting room floor for sure). Anyway that was a lot of fun and at the conclusion of that scene it was dinner break.
Nice head & shoulders as part of the in-flight passengers

ready ready
Giving some pointers? I don't think so.



 So dinner was a great experience in itself. A korean catering truck....sounds like heaven? and it was. Beautiful meal, beautiful food and got to have a good long chat with Yoon Jung and her producers Soo Jin and Wook Jo. Fascinating stuff, plumbing the depths of the logistics and costs and the future of the film etc. It was a lot of fun in very warm company with some great food. 
Cho Soo Jin (line Producer), Park Seol Hwa (BIFF) Young Wook Jo (Producer) Me & Lee Yoon Jung  (Writer/Director)




At the conclusion of dinner was the setup for a number of night exterior scenes with Jung Woo-sung, a very noted Korean actor. We were extended an invitation to witness these but as it was close to nightfall and we had to make the long trek back into the heart of Seoul. This is a mega city and that journey was going to take more than an hour. So we said our goodbyes and our thank yous and thus a most amazing experience was over.
Don't Forget Me is getting close to the end of production as you read this and I wish Yoon Jung and her team all the best and can't wait to see the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment